Ambulance bosses apologize to pensioner after judge approves £1m payment

Ambulance bosses have apologized to an 85-year-old woman and her family after a High Court judge approved a £1million clinical negligence settlement.

Lawyers representing the woman said there was a delay in her hospitalization six years ago when she developed a serious viral illness.

They told Judge Griffiths that the woman had suffered a severe brain injury.



While we recognize that no amount of money can reverse the outcome of the care she received in 2016, we are pleased that a settlement has been reached and hope it will make life easier for her and her family. .

South East Coast Ambulance Service

The judge approved the seven-figure settlement, reached by lawyers representing the woman and the South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, which is based in Crawley, West Sussex at a High Court hearing in London on Monday.

A spokesman for the trust said after the hearing: ‘We apologize to the patient and her family.

“While we recognize that no amount of money can reverse the outcome of the care she received in 2016, we are pleased that a settlement has been reached and hope it will make life easier for her and her family. family.”

Judge Griffiths said the trust accepted negligence on the grounds that the woman should have been taken to hospital on February 13, 2016, rather than two days later.

But he said there had been a dispute over the cause of his brain damage and the ‘quantum’ of the damage.

He said he was confident that the settlement agreed upon was “reasonable” and in the best interests of the woman.

Lawyers told her the money would pay for care and would be managed by a relative who had power of attorney.

Judge Griffiths said the woman could not be identified in media reports of the case.