There are many ways to maximize your credit card rewards. Remember, if your friends or family are considering applying for a rewards card, you might get a referral bonus.
This can be a win-win situation for you and the person you are referring. They get a referral for a credit card, and if their application is approved, you get bonus rewards. You can do this several times a year, so it is possible to earn quite a few rewards. And it’s a quick and easy process for you and your referral.
Start your journey to financial success with a bang
Get free access to the selected products we use to help us meet our financial goals. These fully vetted choices could be the solution to helping you increase your credit score, invest more profitably, build an emergency fund, and more.
By submitting your email address, you consent to our sending you money advice as well as products and services which we believe may be of interest to you. You can unsubscribe anytime. Please read our privacy statement and terms and conditions.
How to get a referral bonus with a credit card
Here’s how to get referral bonuses with your credit cards:
- Go to your card issuer’s referral page to get your referral link.
- Send your referral link to the person who wants to open a credit card.
- Wait for the person you referred to apply. If the card issuer approves them, you will receive your referral bonus.
Remember that your referral must apply through the credit card referral link you sent them. If they don’t, you don’t get the bonus.
Credit card companies limit the number of referral bonuses you can receive per year. Five referrals is a common limit, but you can find your card’s exact limit on its referral page. Another common rule is that your account must be in good standing for you to be eligible for referral bonuses.
The exact referral process depends on the credit card company. You can find more details on how to get a referral bonus with major card issuers below.
American Express Referral Bonus
To start the referral process, log into your American Express account. Scroll down below your account summary to see if your card has a referral offer available. If you have more than one American Express card, check each one. Not all cards are eligible for referral offers.
If an offer is available, click on “Refer now”. You can either enter your referral’s first name and email address for American Express to send you the offer, or copy the referral link and send it yourself.
Capital One Referral Bonus
Visit the Capital One friend referral page. Log into your Capital One account to get your referral link. Copy the link and share it with anyone you want to refer.
Hunt referral bonuses
Visit the Refer a Friend Chase page. Find your Chase credit card in the list and click “Refer Friends Now” (or “Refer Business Now” if it’s a business credit card). Enter your last name, postal code and the last four digits of your Chase card. If your card is eligible for a referral offer, Chase will provide you with a referral link. Copy the link and share it with anyone you want to refer.
Discover the referral bonuses
Visit the Discover Refer a Friend page. Log into your Discover account to get your referral link. Copy the link and share it with anyone you want to refer.
Referral bonus tips
A credit card referral should benefit both you and your referral. Here are some tips for getting as many referrals as possible without stepping on anyone’s toes:
- Be upfront about how you benefit from the referral offer. That way, the person you’re referring won’t think you’ve been hiding any information. It might also help prevent them from applying without using your link as they didn’t realize it was important.
- If you are in a relationship, you and your partner can refer to credit cards. It’s a great way for married couples to maximize the rewards.
- Consider sharing your referral link on social media. Be sure to mention that you earn extra rewards when people sign up through your link.
- Prioritize finding the right credit card for your friend or family member, even if it’s not the card that is earning you a bonus.
With rewards credit cards, it makes sense to take advantage of every bonus opportunity. Every cardholder should know about referral bonuses. At a minimum, they can earn you rewards if someone you know wants a new credit card. If you have a large group of friends, family, or a social media presence, referral bonuses could help you collect a lot more rewards each year.